I read an article which stated people who watch a lot of crime shows experience more anxiety. Well, I can totally relate to that. But does that include the news too? Because that’s where I’m getting most of the crime and murder stories these days.
In any case, around this time of year, my mind turns to happy holiday movies. I occasionally watch the corny ones, but many are rehashes of the same old storyline. I wanted to make a few suggestions for movies for anyone who needs a break from real life but doesn’t want to see the mushy meet-cute and sickly sweet romances that seed the streams.
- Lovehard – Netflix. Cute take on catfishing. AND they’ve rewritten to one of the best/worst xmas songs. Remember, Baby It’s Cold Outside as sung by Dean Martin and Marilyn Maxwell? It has some very rape-y lyrics. He’s trying to talk her into staying – and then she sings, “what’s in this drink?” Not very appropriate! This movie features a rewritten version by Nina Dobrev and Jimmy O. Yang titled “Maybe just go outside.” “I really must go/No problem there’s the door.” LOVE IT!
- No Sleep Til Christmas (HULU) looked a little odd and I almost didn’t take a chance on it. But it was actually a very nice movie. Not too mushy or silly – a different style then the run of the mill holiday romances.
- The Truth about Christmas – a comedic and refreshing take on a holiday romance. The reward for honesty is food (and freedom!)
- Ghosting: The Spirit of Christmas. Soooo goood! No tween romance here. There is a romance, but soul mates are much more complex than a dating site swipe.
From the family fun list:
- The Christmas Chronicles – Kurt Russel and a peek of Goldie Hawn. It’s adventurous and fun!
- Christmas on Holly Lane – Friends and family come together on Xmas.
- Dash and Lily – had to mention it as it’s not up for renewal, but I’m thinking of writing some fan fic for it.
Finally – ALL TIME FAVORITES!
- It’s a Wonderful Life. I am a Jimmy Stewart Fan. (Have you seen Harvey?!)
- Scrooged – Billy Murry in the 80’s – Hilarious!
- The Ref – not many people are familiar with this. Great for a laugh. It’s dated and completely politically incorrect. If you make it passed the first 10 minutes, you’re in for a treat – uhm, well, if you’re into dark comedy.
One thought on “Tired of Crime and Murder? I’m in the Mood for Holiday Movies but not looking for mushy love stories.”
Fascinating how mores, morals and standards evolve. “Baby It’s Cold Outside” was always controversial. The version from the Film “Neptune’s Daughter” (check it on youtube) with Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalban is especially aggressive, but the jaw dropper for me is the Beatles “Run For Your Life” From their Rubber Soul album. It seemed so innocent back in the day- listen to it today; it’s a stalking song in which the man threatens to kill his girlfriend if “He sees her with another man.”
As for warm fuzzy Christmas songs, give me “Chipmunks Roasting On An Open Fire.”